Babel burst!




Ryan Babel has lift the lid of the ongoing turmoil behind the scenes at Anfield - and his personal frustration at the Anfield club.


"Isn't it unbelievable that in my first year I got chosen as Talent of the Year?

"And a season later I hardly play and without getting a proper chance.

"I don't know if it has anything to do with my little trip to the Olympics - I know the manager wanted me to stay. But I don't believe Benitez is trying to get back at me.

"What I do know is our manager tests people on how they react to certain situations."


"Bentitez is not a man who will give you his trust straightaway.

"Benitez is a manager who in certain situations can do exactly the opposite of what you expect several times.

"Every time me or my agent (Willie Haatrecht) have a chat with him he stresses I can't leave and he believes in me.

"We have to trust he is telling the truth. Saying it is different to showing it. We have agreed to look at my situation during the winter break.


"If there's no improvement then, I have to be honest, I want to play somewhere else.

"But until then I will fight for my position - what else can I do?

"I still want to stay at Liverpool. I just have the feeling, for many people, I still have to prove myself.


"I think that is unjustified and a pity. I have shown I can do it plenty of times. I know I could be further in my career but if nobody helps you, if they don't make it easier for you then it is difficult.

"It is especially tough mentally. Yet curiously it is still expected that you break open a match.


"If you look at the statistics I can do that - I have been more important to Liverpool as a substitute than a regular player.

"Most of the supporters are happy with me because something happens when I come on as a substitute.


"However I want to show them more but I'm not given the chance.

"In 2½ years with Liverpool I have never started three matches in a row.

"I don't play a lot so I can't be happy and I can't cheer out loud.


"Certain emotions are blocked, they are pushed back by all the worries I carry with me. And I have my pride."

"I have tried to talk to the manager but it isn't of any use.

"I couldn't really do anything with the feedback Benitez gave me.

"His philosophy is simple - try your hardest in training and then your chance will come. But sometimes I wonder how long I can sustain it."


"All the forwards, they always live for their own success. It is hard for someone who isn't selfish by nature to act selfish.

"I don't know if my team-mates were shocked by my new character but I do notice once in a while they get confused.

"Normally I would pass the ball - now I take the shot myself more often. I see how they look at me with a face that says 'Hey I am free!'

"But I'm not going to explain it any further because they don't give me any explanation when I ask for the ball."


"We have a lot of different cultures and on the pitch we are a tight group. But outside the pitch everyone goes their own way.

"The Spanish-speaking guys are very close. The youths hang out together. And I get along with Benayoun and Lucas.

"Dirk Kuyt? I don't really hang out with him. Dirk got accepted in the group of the Spanish-speaking players.

"He is very friendly with them and it looks as if he understands their jokes."


"Many players can play lots of bad matches and still keep their credits - I can't.

"I believe when you get a chance you should take it and not let go. Hold on to it - my parents taught me that - and that's why I don't give up.

"The traffic light will turn green some time."


"As a Liverpool player I can't play in my blue Nike boots. They strongly discourage me from doing that.

"Blue is Everton's colour and Liverpool and Everton are rivals in everything.

"As a small boy you dream about a career as a football player. Your willing to give up everything for it.

"Once you reach that goal, only then do you get to know the whole world around it."



Liverpool tonight have a must win fixture against Debrecen tonight in Hungary and their Champions League survival depends partly on the show at Florence between Lyon and Fiorentina with Lyon needing atleast a point for Liverpool to set up a mouth watering clash against Fiorentina on Matchday 6.

Ryan Babel has lift the lid on what could be a jist of bigger problems behind the scenes at the Merseyside club and questions will be asked of Benitez if he fails to provide the result required today against Debrecen

edit post

Comments